Your Quick Start Guide
Welcome to Userlist.io! With this tool, you can manage your SaaS users and send automated behavior-based messages throughout their lifecycle. Before starting out, you should understand three important things:
- This tool is built specifically for managing users who already signed up for your product (paying users, or those who are on the free trial/plan). If you need a tool to run your marketing email list, then we’re not your best choice — you should probably use MailChimp, Drip, or something similar.
- This tool is created specifically for web applications. Even though you could probably use it to manage desktop/mobile app users, it’s still not the perfect choice.
- Integrating Userlist.io will require some custom development on your side (not as simple as pasting a code snippet). However, once the event tracking is set up, your marketing team will be able to implement new powerful automations on their own, without bothering the developer team.
If this sounds good — let’s get the ball rolling! In this Quick Start Guide, we’ll show you around the app and let you know how to get started in six easy steps.
Step 1. Get your data flowing into the system
First, your goal is to get your customer data flowing into our system: the list of users, their properties, and information about events (activities) they’re performing inside your app.
For that, we rely on the data your application sends to us — and that’s what your developer will need to set up. We’re offering a simple HTTP API that allows you to push data as JSON, as well as libraries for popular programming languages. Or you could set up an integration in just a few clicks if you use Segment. Please read these guides for exact instructions:
Start planning you campaigns as early as possible — this way you'll know what properties and events to track. Download these free worksheets to speed up the process.
Step 2. Take a look at your users
Your user list is the first thing you see when the app launches. From there, you can jump to a profile page of each individual user — showing who they are and what they’ve been doing in your app. For more details, please read this article:
Step 3. Get ready to send your email
Before you send your first email, you need to make sure that things like your company name, website, and address are set up correctly. You’ll also need to add and verify your sending domain (to improve email deliverability). For all of the above, please consult this article:
Step 4. Set up your first automation campaign
Campaigns allow you to send relevant automated messages to your users based on what they do (or don’t do) inside your app. For each campaign, you’ll need to set up a trigger (when to start sending), write actual messages, and define the goal (when we should exit the campaign). Please consult these articles for details:
Step 5. Send your first broadcast
You can also use our tool to send Broadcasts — manual, one-off emails like company newsletters or important system announcements.
Step 6. Plan, organize & implement
Knowing how to send is one thing, but knowing what to send to your SaaS users is a whole different story. User journeys can be very unique — so you’ll probably need examples and best practices for inspiration. We’ve put together a few guides for you:
- Planning Campaigns for the Entire User Lifecycle
- Campaign Templates for Each User Lifecycle Stage
- Using Segments to Structure Your User Base
We're always there to help!
Good luck with your setup process, and let us know if you have any questions — we’re always there at email@example.com.